[hobbit] Migration approach

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jul 13 22:28:27 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:53:21AM -0500, Jeff Newman wrote:

> I was thinking now that the new version of hobbit has moved on to RC (yay!)
> I would migrate my existing production hobbit server to the new version.
>
> What sort of migration approach is recommended?

gzip -dc hobbit-4.2*.tar.gz | tar xf -
cd hobbit-4.2*
./configure; make; make install
/etc/init.d/hobbit restart

> I ask this because I was thinking that it might be better to start fresh
> with the RRD's because the new version adds some that didn't exist before,
> and might do things differently with some of the existing ones, etc etc
> etc..

It's true that it adds some new ones, but the old ones haven't changed.
There are no changes to the data that is stored on disk (well, at least
not since the change from BB -> Hobbit).

> Is there any way to "trick" hobbit into looking at the old RRD files
> for a given host, or is there some approach I am missing?

Hobbit finds the RRD files through the BBRRDS setting in hobbitserver.cfg.
So ... you could copy the hobbitgraphs.sh CGI script and invoke
hobbitgraph.cgi with an option to load a different configuration file,
which points BBRRDS to the directory holding your old RRD file collection.