Graphing Disk Space on Netapp

Francesco Duranti fduranti at q8.it
Mon Jul 10 16:20:56 CEST 2006

Hi Henrik,
I'm modifying the original filers2bb scripts to monitor
disk/inode/snapshot/quotas data on netapp storage via rsh and all is
working quite good. Disk space and Inode data are also saved to rrd and
graphed by the hobbitd_rrd module as well as the qtree quotas.
With the qtree quotas graphs I've a little problem caused I think from
the fact that the shares are for windows and there are spaces inside the
directory names.

Just to do some examples I create the same layout of the Disk
spaces/Inodes used and i put directory after the volume names just to be
in line with all the other disk statistics:

Filesystem                        1k-blocks        Used   Available
Use% Mounted On
/vol/g_home/App_Overview               2.0G        120K        2.0G
0% /vol/g_home/App_Overview
/vol/g_home/Applicativi Rete           2.0G        127M        1.9G
6% /vol/g_home/Applicativi Rete
/vol/g_home/AttFisse                    10G        8.3G        1.7G
83% /vol/g_home/AttFisse
/vol/g_home/Audit2006DSI               2.0G         68M        1.9G
3% /vol/g_home/Audit2006DSI
/vol/g_home/BO6.5                      2.0G        732M        1.3G
36% /vol/g_home/BO6.5
/vol/g_home/Common                     3.4G        3.1G        376M
89% /vol/g_home/Common

In the graph part I get problems with the line

/vol/g_home/Applicativi Rete           2.0G        127M        1.9G
6% /vol/g_home/Applicativi Rete

The first problem that I've solved was related to the first directory
name (the left one) where with a " " in the name the hobbit engine will
shift all data and do some odd graphing. I substituted the " " with a
"_" in the first part and the graphs are now the correct ones but the
directory names in the graph is wrong because it only get "Applicativi"
in the name of the disk in the rrd. If possible I need to leave at least
one of the 2 "Filesystem" or "mounted on" with a space inside because we
also have some qtree with "_" and if I change all of them it will be
more difficult to check where the problem is from people that don't know
this behavious.

Henrik, it's possible that the disk graphing routine will get the entire
last parameters until end of line so that with "Applicativi Rete" it
will get the entire string or that the hobbit program will convert the "
" before doing the rrd if the problem is in the rrd engine?

I've also another question, I'm getting data about snapshot directories
to check the space occupied by them and it could be nice to have also
the graph of those disk spaces. The format I'm getting is the same of
the disk/inodes/qtree and the column is called snapshot.

This is a data sample of what I get:
Filesystem                        1k-blocks        Used   Available
Use% Mounted On
/vol/rootvol/.snapshot              4194304      137036     4057268
3% /vol/rootvol/.snapshot
/vol/CVS/.snapshot                  1048576        1320     1047256
0% /vol/CVS/.snapshot
/vol/g_home/.snapshot              57671680     4596052    53075628
8% /vol/g_home/.snapshot
/vol/n_home/.snapshot               5242880      234968     5007912
4% /vol/n_home/.snapshot

It's possible to put in the hobbit server that if it get the column
snapshot it will try to save rrd files and graph them as for the other
disks columns?

Thanks for your good work with hobbit !
It's really good and saving a lot of time :)

Francesco Duranti