[hobbit] TCP/IP stats (bits/s) limited to 100M

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Jul 9 22:23:57 CEST 2006

Hi Scott,

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 04:02:32PM -0400, Scott Walters wrote:
> >The question then
> >becomes "what's a suitable max" for these data ? Should I
> >assume they are 32-bit counters ? I know some of them are not
> >(e.g. Solaris has 64-bit counters for bytes in/out per interface).
>
> exactly, and it is even more complicated than that . . . see below
[snip explanation]
> And Henrik, the net result to you will be answering an endless stream
> of emails regarding why every COUNTER RRD has spikes . . . I've been
> there, done that ;)  I am almost 100% positive there is not *one*
> counter RRD in the larrd stuff, all DERIVE.  It's not impossible
> rrdtool has changed to alleviate some of this, but from what I have
> read of your email streams it I haven't seen anything to support that.

Your experience certainly carries a lot of weight. Since I've never
used any COUNTER datasets I haven't seen this problem (you're right:
all the LARRD DS definitions use DERIVE - I copied those just about
verbatim into Hobbit).

So - I've undone the change. Back to DERIVE with MIN=0, and we'll
see how much trouble that gives us. So far, only one person has
noticed bad effects from this.

Thanks,