[hobbit] Using ssh to retrieve hobbit data

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:46:54 CET 2006

OK, this probably isn't the ideal solution, but it seems to be working
for me at the moment.  I've only just started with Hobbit, so I'm sure
there's a better way of doing this.

My remote system is running bb18b3, with bb-file.sh from
bbfetch2.3.tar.gz replacing bin/bb so that tmp/BBSTAT is created
instead of pushing local messages to a BB server.  You probably
already had that part working...

On my Hobbit server I copied bb-fetch.sh to server/ext.  The only
change necessary in bb-fetch.sh was

   <     . $BBHOME/etc/bbdef.sh                    # INCLUDE STANDARD
DEFINITIONS
   ---
   >     . $BBHOME/etc/hobbitserver.cfg                    # INCLUDE
STANDARD DEFINITIONS

Then in server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg, add:

   [fetch]
           ENVFILE /home/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
           NEEDS hobbitd
           CMD $BBHOME/ext/bb-fetch.sh
           LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/hobbitclient.log
           INTERVAL 5m

Hobbit seems to be happy fetching the remote BBSTAT file and receiving
the extracted cpu, disk, msgs & procs data.

Unfortunately I don't have time right now to upgrade the remote client
to Hobbit, so I don't know how (or if) bb-file.sh would work with it.

Ralph Mitchell