su:/bin/bash permission denied

Michael Ciccone Michael.Ciccone at cityofthornton.net
Mon Feb 27 22:27:31 CET 2006

Hello,
New to Hobbit...
I cannot start hobbit via the service command.  When I try I get the
following error:
I type:  service hobbit start
Error is:
Starting hobbit:  su:/bin/bash permission denied.

When I tried to do this manually it works fine.

#su - c "/usr/lib/hobbit/service/hobbit.sh start" - hobbit

Any help is much appreciated

Mike

Here is my /etc/init.d/hobbit.sh file:

#! /bin/sh
#
# hobbit          This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#                 hobbit(the Hobbit network monitor)
#
# chkconfig: 2345 80 20
# you to monitor hosts and services. The monitor status is available \
# via a webpage.

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/lib/hobbit/server/hobbit.sh
NAME=hobbit
DESC=hobbit

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

# Include hobbit defaults if available
if [ -f /etc/default/hobbit ] ; then
        . /etc/default/hobbit
fi

set -e

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
        su -c "$DAEMON start" - hobbit
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
        su -c "$DAEMON stop" - hobbit
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  reload|force-reload)
        echo "Reloading $DESC configuration files."
        su -c "$DAEMON reload" - hobbit
        echo "$NAME."
          ;;
  restart)
        echo -n "Restarting $DESC: "
        su -c "$DAEMON restart" - hobbit
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  rotate)
        echo -n "Rotating logs for $DESC: "
        su -c "$DAEMON rotate" - hobbit
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  *)
        N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
        # echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}" >&2
        echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0