[hobbit] Memory check

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 04:12:24 CET 2006

I'm not sure on the details, but I believe the Linux kernel loads up a
large percentage of available memory with disk buffers as files are
read.  Those buffers don't really count against any process and will
be evicted as soon as an actual process asks for real memory.  The
idea is that it speeds up disk access for those files that are in
memory, and doesn't cost much (in machine time) to keep them around
until the space is needed for something else.

Memory usage spikes during a backup because it's reading *all* the
files on disk...

Ralph Mitchell