[hobbit] - Internet sites testing

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 13:35:28 CET 2006

On 12/8/06, Thomas <tlp-hobbit at holme-pedersen.dk> wrote:
> Yes hobbit can do this via POST form login. Check the HTTP cont tag.
>
> thomas.seglard.enata at cnp.fr wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm asking here if I can use Hobbit as a "probe" to test Internet sites. I
> > want to be able to trace requests and provide to customers response time
> > of these requests. Basically, the 'cont' test of Hobbit is not sufficient
> > 'cause you only test static pages. My main objective is to write some
> > scenarios like : login with this login/pass / go to these links (trying to
> > do some requests on Weblogic and database) / logout
> > Does anybody have already set up scripts like that ? Thanks for help !

You'll probably need to use external scripts if the pages are
complicated.  The sequence I use is something like:

   download the page using curl
   grep for something in the html to show it is a good page
   extract the login form elements and edit in the userid & password
   POST the form back using curl, and save the returned page
   grep for something in the returned page to see if the login succeeded
   [ click through other links if required ]
   extract the logout link from the page
   use curl to fetch the logout page
   grep for something in the page to see if the logout succeeded

I'm definitely logging in to Siteminder sites and possibly Weblogic &
others.  Curl handles both https and http, goes through proxies,
handled NTLM & BasicAuith authentication, etc.

Ralph Mitchell