Case sensitivity in bb-hosts service name

Burgess, Richard Richard.Burgess at brevanhoward.com
Tue Dec 5 14:51:06 CET 2006

We're seeing the following behaviour in Hobbit version 4.1.2p1 on
OpenBSD 3.8 GENERIC.MP#298 i386:

A 'service' was created on an existing host using a lower case name, eg.
xyz, by sending a 'status' event to the hobbit server.

Subsequent status events are being sent using upper case 'XYZ', but
being assigned to the history for the lower case service, 'xyz'.  When
searching for Reports->Event Log Report->Tests to match=xyz, the
original (lower case) and subsequent (upper case) events are shown in
the resulting events with the lower case name.

A dot has been added to the bb-hosts config for a page using the service
name 'XYZ', but the dot does not appear.  When changing the name in the
bb-hosts config to be 'xyz', the dot does appear.  Unfortunately, for
cosmetic and consistency reasons, we would like it to be upper case.

It seems the case sensitivity is not being carried through to service
name parsing in the bb-hosts file.  Can someone advise if this is a bug
or a known 'feature'?

Also, suggestions are welcome for a workaround.  We've tried using
server/bin/bb 127.0.0.1 "rename HOST xyz XYZ", also ... "drop HOST xyz",
also ... "rename HOST xyz xyz-1".  None of these seem to get rid of the
'xyz' service and allow us to replace it with an 'XYZ' service.

thanks,

Richard