[hobbit] failover?

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:15:36 CET 2006

On 12/3/06, Anton Burkhalter <anton.burkhalter at gmx.net> wrote:
> I use two independent Hobbit servers; each client reports to both
> servers. The question is how to synchronize the two
> servers after an outage of a server.

How important is it to get the servers synchronised??  I know that
where I work, we're not really using the availability reports, because
there are other tools that track outages and work out the SLA up/down
times.  So, for me, it's not very important to have the Hobbit servers
kept in sync.  If one goes down, when it comes back up it will show
purple dots almost immediately for just about everything, but those
dots change very quickly as the checkout scripts send in fresh
reports.

The thing that concerns me is that I can't be running the same checks
from two servers at the same time.  People around here get irritated
when their webserver stats are artificially inflated by the checkout
scripts... :)  I'm looking at heartbeat (from http://www.linux-ha.org)
to manage that.

Ralph Mitchell