[hobbit] AIX client question -- data overflows Hobbit server

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Aug 29 16:18:08 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 09:04:18AM -0500, Hubbard, Greg L wrote:
> I am monitoring some special purpose AIX systems, and every once in a
> while the client sends more data than the server can handle.  It looks
> like the cause might be the routing table dump, which can be quite large
> on these systems.  Evidently these systems dynamically add a lot of
> host-specific route entries.  I don't recall anything on the Hobbit
> server that checks the client routing table, so is it going to be a
> problem if I simply disable this part of the client data gathering?

Shouldn't be a problem. It's included mainly because it is useful for
troubleshooting network problems, but there aren't any checks in Hobbit
which directly makes use of the routing table data.

Of course, you could just increase the MAXMSG_CLIENT setting on the
Hobbit server (e.g. add MAXMSG_CLIENT="1024" to hobbitserver.cfg and
restart Hobbit).