[hobbit] Informal survey about commercial support for Hobbit

Reif Jeffery M ReifJefferyM at JohnDeere.com
Mon Aug 28 16:16:05 CEST 2006

A few things come to mind:

a)  Regarding guaranteed response, you could use 2 business days, which
is a common "basic" service level.  Guaranteeing 4/8/24 hours starts
costing a *lot* more as the time goes down, at least with support
agreements that I have been involved with.  Note that "response" means
acknowledgement of the issue.  A fix is on a best-effort basis.  From
what I've seen, you generally exceed that now.

b)  You may consider offering your product for sale, with or without a
support option:  Put together a one page quote that describes hobbit as
it exists today.  Same thing everyone else gets, just for sale.   For
those companies that "need" to purchase a product license rather than
just download some old thing off the internet ;).    If you work for one
of those companies, you know what I'm talking about.  No kidding.  I
don't think you would have a huge volume here, but if a few are
desperate to write you a check for $5000, then you could take them up on
it.

c)  If you had a donation link, I think a lot of folks would be happy to
donate occasionally, a few $$ per month, or when they've benefited from
your work, etc.  Kind of like a 'tip jar'.  Does the Amazon thing allow
a monetary donation to an accout, or does anyone have expertise in
setting this up, like with a credit card?

d)  I have seen sites that use a bid system for solutions or
enhancements.  For example, I would like to have feature XYZ added.  I
would be willing to pay $10 for it.  Several other people would like it
too and could offer $5, $10, $20, or $0 for it.  You decide whether you
want to do it or not, but if you do, it would be worth that sum of
money.  I don't know if this method works or not.

I prefer method "c", and use it fairly regularly.  I would have used "b"
at a previous employer - back in the BB days, had it been available.

Whichever system is chosen (or not), Henrik has demonstrated commitment
to this project; more so than any commercial vendors I've dealt with.
Thanks, Henrik.  And also thanks to the contributors in the user
community whose names pop up regularly.

Jeff