Another stellar release

Rich Smrcina rsmrcina at wi.rr.com
Mon Aug 28 03:12:08 CEST 2006

I've finished implementing Hobbit 4.2 at a customer site, the last
little problem being the rrd issue that Henrik (and others) confirmed
the problem that I was having with moving graphs between architectures.

When the release notes indicated that there was up to a 50% reduction in
CPU Utilization, I really took notice.  This customer runs Hobbit in a
shared, virtualized environment (in a Linux virtual machine on the
mainframe).  In this environment we like applications that get the work
done while using the least amount of CPU and memory possible.

Before 4.2 at it's peak the Hobbit virtual machine would use ~13% of the
CPU. I wasn't worried too much about that, since the peak comes at a
consistent interval.

After 4.2 I've noticed that the Hobbit virtual machine now barely gets
about 1% of CPU Utilization.  I was very surprised at the significant
reduction in resources required for this release.

I must commend Henrik, not only on this wonderful achievement, but also
on the amazing new features in 4.2.  May all your releases be so good!

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Phone: 414-491-6001
Ans Service:  360-715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2007 - Green Bay, WI - May 18-22, 2007