[hobbit] New version of beastat.pl netapp.pl and dbcheck.pl

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Fri Aug 25 22:48:06 CEST 2006

Francesco Duranti wrote:

> There's an error in the README ...
> If you're using hobbit 4.2 and NetApp with Ontap version 6.5+ just do
> this:

I've got it working now, and made a few tweaks so that the nfs ops (the
only thing we use) were tracked on their own graph, instead of as a part
of a group.  Makes the graph scaling easier on the eyes.  ;)

> For snapshot there's not a simple way, you've to edit the source code of
> hobbit and some will get wrong. At this moment I'm finishing to work to
> module for rrd implementation inside the hobbit_rrd for them and I've
> something done but I'm waiting for some nice feature regarding custom
> rrd implementation from Henrik so you can have something in the next few
> days (snapshot, quotas, qtree, and something more in the next future
> like full nfsstatistics and interface/network statistics)...

I was going to just hack up the do_disk.c file and see what I could do,
but sounds like waiting is the better option.  filerstats2bb used to put
the .snapshots filesystem alongside those in the disk column, which
worked out pretty well except for segregating the snapshot alerts to
separate users.

>> Is there an easy way to disable some of the tests, such as
>> quotas and cifs?
>
> Just put in your [default] section or under the [storage] section of
> your netapp.ini this one and it will not check those columns (it's valid
> for all columns).
> bbuserquotacolumn       = quotas:notest
> bbcifscolumn            = cifs:notest

Perfect.

> If you want data to be reported silently without having a column just to
> create a graph in the trend you can also do:
> bbopscolumn             = ops:data
> bbstatscolumn           = stats:data

Again, very cool. I now have an ops column on my front page, displaying
NFS data, and it is a welcome site.  :)

I was going to try and get a way to collect the disk %utilization values
for my volumes (those are displayed when you collect data with statit
for a period of time).  That would also be a extremely useful data point.

Tom