[hobbit] Alerts Question

Dula, Mike mdula at star-telegram.com
Thu Aug 17 22:02:03 CEST 2006

Great thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary B. [mailto:gmbfly98 at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:33 PM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Alerts Question

> Hi, I seem to be having issues with the reliability with the alerts
feature.

Look at the /var/log/hobbit/notifications.log and page.log files.  You
might also want to manually test the alert rules to see how they work

> My Hobbit-alerts.cfg is written as followed.
>

> HOST=server1
>         MAIL number(at)cingularme.com RECOVERED
>         MAIL address(at)company.com RECOVERED
>
> HOST=server2
>         MAIL number(at)cingularme.com RECOVERED
>         MAIL address(at)company.com RECOVERED

The alert rules I have are written as:
HOST=server1 RECOVERED
    MAIL <phone address> REPEAT=interval
    MAIL <company address> REPEAT=interval
. . .

> HOST=* RECOVERED
>         IGNORE HOST=server
>         IGNORE HOST=server1
>         IGNORE HOST=server2
>         MAIL address(at)company.com
>         MAIL number(at)messaging.nextel.com
>         MAIL address(at)company.com
>         MAIL address(at)company.com

You can do
   IGNORE HOST=server,server1,server2
   MAIL <address1>,<address2>

> I am not using SMS but using the phone provider's email to send test
to a
> phone. The messages poured in after a hobbit.sh restart, but then the
quit
> going through. Sometimes only the (at)company recipients go through.
Also
> for the cell phone emails is there a way I can customize messages sent
> the recipient? Ie. make the text short and sweet, (Server and Service
status
> only)
>

> -Mike

Yes.  I believe Hobbit has a method of doing that by itself, but I use
a custom external script, as I needed to slightly modify the way
SMS-style messages are sent.  It's a short script, so I've included it
below.  Just stick it into the /var/hobbit/server/ext directory (and
make sure it has the execute bit set).  Then, create a MAIL rule as
below:

SCRIPT /var/hobbit/server/ext/oursms <address> FORMAT=SMS REPEAT
=1h

The "oursms" script:
#!/bin/sh
#VARIABLES:
msg=$BBALPHAMSG         #Full text of message
code=$ACKCODE           #The ack code
host=$BBHOSTNAME        #Host name

# CODE:
#=======
subject="!HB ${code}"  #Subject will read as "!HB <hobbit alert code>"
message="${msg}"
echo "${message}" | mail -s "${subject}" $RCPT

If you want to customize the script to change the way the subject
and/or body appear on the pager, look at the section titled "ALERT
SCRIPTS" at the bottom of the page:
http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/manpages/man5/hobbit-alerts.cfg.5.
html

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk