Dumb Apache question

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Thu Aug 17 17:43:19 CEST 2006

Shire folk:

I just upgraded to v4.2 on a Solaris server.  I am using the built-in
Apache (with Solaris 8).

When I try to access any of the Hobbit man pages that refer to a CGI
(and are named <something>.cgi.<n>.html) I get an "Access Forbidden"
error.  I looked in the Apache error log and saw this:

Options ExecCGI is off in this directory:
/opt2/hobbit/server/www/help/manpages/man1/hobbitsvc.cgi.1.html

So Apache is getting confused by the file name?  I've tried a few things
to try to convince Apache that this is a text file and not a CGI, but to
no avail.  Anyone else ever run into this and have a solution?  One
obvious thing to try would be to add ExecCGI to these directories, but
that doesn't feel right to me...

GLH