[hobbit] Question about CLASS= & classname

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Aug 11 15:25:36 CEST 2006

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:52:12AM -0400, Aiello, Steve (GE, Corporate, consultant) wrote:
> Per the hobbit-clients.cfg documentation I read the following:
>     CLASS=classname Rule match by the client class-name. You specify
>     the class-name for a host when starting the client through the
>     "--class=NAME" option to the runclient.sh script. If no class is
>     specified, the host by default goes into a class named by the
>     operating system.
>
> My questions:
> The default classname setting of the operating system, which value is it ?

It's the value of $BBOSTYPE which gets setup by the Hobbit client
environment. It's basically defined at compile-time. There's a list of
the OS names near the beginning of the lib/misc.c file in the Hobbit
source; I should probably document that somewhere.

> Can regular expresion be used, CLASS=%Linux.* ?

Yes.

> Can a host be defined to more than one class, i.e.
>    1.2.3.4   serverName   # ssh CLASS:Linux CLASS:webServer

No.

> If a host can have more than one class definition, what happens when you
> get CLASS configuration parameter collision ?

That's why one host cannot belong to more than one class.