[hobbit] Beware Vmware time drift

ZanDAhaR allan at zandahar.net
Fri Aug 11 06:21:39 CEST 2006

Everett, Vernon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I tried running Hobbit on Ubuntu Linux in a a VM.
> The main problem I discovered is massive time drift when running any
> Linux-type OS in a VM.
> (This is a documented problem, but you have to search for the document)
> I was looking at drifts of over 20 minutes per hour. Keeping tabs on any
> events is almost impossible.
> There is a clinet available for some Linux flavours which will keep the
> local clock in sync with the host clock, but I couldn't find one for
> Ubuntu, and it was easier just to install Solaris 10 on a PC.
> For my purposes, I have to conclude that running Hobbit on Linux in an
> MS-Windows VM is not an option.
>
> Cheers
>    Vernon

I had this once before with a a 2.4 kernel host and 2.6 guest, or vice
versa and the guest was drifting like there was no tommorow. Not sure if
your problem is the same though

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=10158

 From memory that ended up fixing our problem the clock=pit in the boot
line and it hasnt missed a beat yet. Otherwise yeah NTP or the vmware
time sync would not hold it

Allan