Beware Vmware time drift

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at dpi.wa.gov.au
Fri Aug 11 03:00:22 CEST 2006

Hi all

I tried running Hobbit on Ubuntu Linux in a a VM.
The main problem I discovered is massive time drift when running any
Linux-type OS in a VM.
(This is a documented problem, but you have to search for the document)
I was looking at drifts of over 20 minutes per hour. Keeping tabs on any
events is almost impossible.
There is a clinet available for some Linux flavours which will keep the
local clock in sync with the host clock, but I couldn't find one for
Ubuntu, and it was easier just to install Solaris 10 on a PC.
For my purposes, I have to conclude that running Hobbit on Linux in an
MS-Windows VM is not an option.

Cheers
   Vernon