[hobbit] Backup of Hobbit data and config files

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 10 13:16:45 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:53:47AM +0200, Lardinois, Pierre wrote:

> Can someone tell me what directories / files that have to be backed up in
> order to save data and config files to prevent a crash ?  Is it necessary to
> copy the whole data directory ?  Currently, we have about 8 GB on the data
> directory (about 1500 hosts).

The data/ directory holds all of the monitoring data, so if you want to
save everything, then yes - you will need to back up that entire
directory.

However, most of those 8 GB are probably historical status-logs. Each
time a status changes color, the current status log is saved in a
file in the data/histlogs/ directory. Over time, that becomes a lot
of files - and do you really need to know exactly what a disk status
was 3 years ago? Maybe, but if you don't need that much data then you
can use the "trimhistory" utility to trim the amount of data you keep.

Apart from the data/ directory, the server/etc/ directory should be
backed up - this is all of the Hobbit configuration files.

If you have created notes for online documentation, you will also
need to backup the server/www/notes/ directory.

If you have modified the header/footer templates, then add the
server/web/ directory.