[hobbit] I found my RRD weirdness with illegal updates (2 in same time) - probable idea or fix required to resolve

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Aug 8 23:05:50 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 12:49:36PM -0500, Brodie, Kent wrote:

> When the client system had both "/" and "/root", this had the nifty side
> effect of causing hobbit'd RRD environment to become confused [snip]
> Two file systems "/" and "/root" were being called the same thing in
> terms of rrd:  "root". Oooops.
>
> SO..........        While I decided to simply move the "/root" crud to
> somethere that made more sense...    I have apparently tripped upon
> something that hobbit+rrd isn't prepared to deal with, which is a file
> system called "/root".    While I think this would be rare, it's
> possible.    Not sure how it would be handled?   Maybe call the "/" file
> system "root~" or include some other special character in the name?

You're right that Hobbit didn't anticipate this setup. The disk-RRD
naming was adopted from LARRD which uses this scheme; Hobbit just
kept it to maintain compatibility and because I didn't expect it
to cause any problems.

I think this is sufficiently rare that it's not really worth the
effort to arrange for some special-case handling of a "/root"
filesystem. So - at least for now - I'll leave it as-is.