[hobbit] clientupdate and RC and version 4.2?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 3 20:54:33 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 06:16:20PM +0000, David Gore wrote:
> Client update still fails to work for us.  What does it do?  It
> downloads a clientupdate binary to the ~client/tmp directory.  It can
> run manually:
>
> clientupdate --update=sunos8v14

What happens is this:

* hobbitclient.sh runs "clientupdate --update=VERSION --reexec"
  This copies the clientupdate tool to the
  client/tmp/.update.HOSTNAME.TIMESTAMP.tmp, makes it executable
  and launches it with the options "--update=VERSION --remove-self".
  The reason for this is to avoid unpacking errors if the clientupdate
  utility is overwritten while running.

* The temporary binary opens a connection to the hobbit server and
  uses the "download" command to fetch the file "VERSION.tar". This
  file must exist in the Hobbit servers' ~hobbit/server/download/ directory.
  The downloaded data is passed to a "tar xf -" command via a pipe.
  So this downloads and unpacks the new client file in one operation.

* When the unpacking is complete, it exec's the (new)
  client/bin/clientupdate with the "--suid-setup" option which does
  nothing unless you've compiled it with a special option.

> So it fails somewhere between getting the clientupdate binary and
> running the clientupdate binary.  Is there anything I can try to further
> troubleshoot this?
>
> Found update in progress or failed update (started 10 minutes ago)
> 2006-08-03 16:34:49 connect to bbd failed - Connection refused
> 2006-08-03 16:34:49 Whoops ! bb failed to send message - Connection failed
> Cannot fetch new client tarfile

Hmm - what's your BBDISP and BBDISPLAYS setting ? I've just finished
troubleshooting another problem with "bb" connecting to the wrong
servers.

> Is this going to be fixed for 4.2.

Yes, we all need this working for 4.2.

> There seem to be quite a number of
> bugs.  How about a second release candidate?

I'm considering it, but haven't decided yet whether to do an extra round
of another RC release. I'll spend some time tomorrow getting an overview
of what bugs have been fixed during the RC, and then decide after that.