[hobbit] Hobbit newbie from BB: differences and what may I lose from migrating?

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 23:29:11 CEST 2006

On 8/1/06, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> First, let me stress that Hobbit is fully compatible with your existing
> BB clients. You can keep your current client setup and just switch to
> Hobbit on the server side, and all of your clients will continue to
> work as they do with BB as the server. So you can migrate the server
> side first, and then migrate clients when you find that it is convenient
> to do so - or you want to take advantage of some of the new stuff that
> is in Hobbit.

>From personal experience I can say that this works as advertised :)
I've got a network of some 30-40 hosts that started with BB and I've
been slowly migrating to Hobbit.  The only "problem" is that the
hobbit client is more fully featured than the BB one, so I'm under
pressure to complete the migration sooner than planned :)

> > Also I saw something this morning about a Windows client -- how
> > stable is that?
>
> From what I hear it should be usable. But you can stick with the
> current BBNT client until it reaches version 1.0.

I've been using it since 0.5.  Release 0.6 has been pretty solid, 0.7
has a better feature set, but the developer has reported a memory leak
problem (though the only box I've been running it on had a hard disk
failure, so I can't say).  The latest (0.8) is looking good.

I've been running 0.6 on some production servers to replace the BBNT
client without any problems.

> > Since we have a working BB setup for now, I need to
> > decide if I should try to start migrating now or if I should wait some
> > time for Hobbit to develop more before I migrate from BB.
>
> I don't think you have to wait. But it's for You to decide.

Well, my experience is that there's no pain in migrating the server to
Hobbit.  Once you've done that it's easy to upgrade each client at the
time that's right for you.

Of course, YMMV :-)

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.