[hobbit] ephermal tests - TheState

Mario mazza76 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 13:22:22 CEST 2006

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for your reply.

I think explaining what TheState does is easier if I just show you an
extract from its README:

Big Brother is really great at noticing things that come from a single
source and happen on a regular schedule, but unfortunately many things
that we'd like to watch don't fit this model.  These include log
events, tape change requests from robotic jukeboxes, and most
importantly, alerts generated by other programs.

The current Big Brother solution is to write an extension check on
these things every X minutes.  Unforutnately this is more work than
should be necessary.  If your SNMP monitoring program can already send
an alert to tell you that your T1 has reached 99% saturation, or if
your backup system will trigger an alert when it needs a new tape then
why shouldn't we be able to send this information directly to Big
Brother?

This is what The State does.  If an existing program or script can
call external program when something goes wrong then you can use The
State to feed that information into Big Brother.

The State also includes a CGI script to help manage big brother
warnings and warnings from The State.

TheState is available on deadcat btw.  We are currently moving BB from a
Solaris System to a Linux based one, but TheState is poorly documented now.
It is a perl script but the initial install changes the bbd program (not
sure how though).

I like the look of hobbit, but we also have windows clients.  This may not
be a problem as the windows team might get their own monitoring system, but
can the windows bb client talk to hobbit?  I noticed that hobbit also used
the 1984 port.

I wouldn't mind helping to either create a new version or test it, but I
have to say that my perl scripting isn't the best!