turning off the alert module so hobbit does everything except mail alerts

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Tue Sep 27 21:38:17 CEST 2005

We will be having a site-wide shutdown in the near future and I would
like to find a way to prevent a deluge of emails/pages as we recover the
systems.

Usually, we'd just enable/disable the systems/tests that we don't want
to hear about, but that puts every test in a blue color and doesn't give
us an easy way to see what each system is doing by simply looking at the
non-green view.  We have to click on each status to see the "true" color
of the test (green, red, yellow, or purple), and that won't be very
efficient when we are dealing with hundreds of servers.

Is it possible to turn off just the hobbit alert module, so that hobbit
will do everything like it normally does EXCEPT mail the alerts?  I
thought about using a temporary hobbit-alerts.cfg that doesn't contain
email addresses or killing the hobbitd_alert process (bad idea I'm
sure), but wasn't sure if there was a better way to deal with this.  I
didn't see anything in the hobbitd_alert manpage that addresses this
kind of scenario, so I thought I'd ask.

BTW, we're using hobbit 4.0.4.

Thanks,

Tom