Problem with NCV graphs

Geoff Steer gsteer at firstwave.com.au
Fri Oct 28 02:09:17 CEST 2005

I'm  having problems getting a NCV graph to work.

The status script runs on the monitoring client without error and the
status result appears on the Hobbit web page in the format expected.

The rrd file gets created but the data doesn't get added consistently.
The figures that do get graphed are large ones  e.g a heartbeat value
was 3 but a value of 32579345 gets put into the rrd

Here's the script fragment that sends the status message. (I've tried
replacing the = with a : but same results.)

--
/usr/local/bb/bbc1.9e-btf/bin/bb 202.12.141.141 "status
mailserver,domain,com.heartbeat $colour `date`

HeartbeatTime=$elapsed

"
--
What I've added to hobbitserver.cfgr.cfg

TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,
$PINGCOLUMN=tcp,http=tcp,dns=tcp,dig=tcp,time=ntpstat,vmstat,vmstat5,iostat,netstat,
temperature,apache,bind,sendmail,mailq,nmailq=mailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,
bbtest,bbproxy,hobbitd,heartbeat,heartbeat=ncv"

NCV_heartbeat="HeartbeatTime:COUNTER"

The graph specification in hobbitgraph.cfg

[heartbeat]
        FNPATTERN heartbeat.rrd
        TITLE Email Heartbeat
        YAXIS Transit Time
        DEF:HeartbeatTime at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:HeartbeatTime:AVERAGE
        LINE1:HeartbeatTime at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:Heartbeat Period @RRDPARAM@
        COMMENT:\n
        GPRINT:HeartbeatTime at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:HeartbeatTime at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:HeartbeatTime at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:HeartbeatTime at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n
        COMMENT:\n

I did write a do_heartbeat.c routine for an older version of Hobbit but
the NCV option seemed more attractive that editing any new versions of
hobbit I install.

--
Geoff Steer <gsteer at firstwave.com.au>

The sender's Anti-virus Service scanned this email. It is safe from known viruses.