[hobbit] External scripts not working the same?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Oct 25 23:46:24 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 10:55:35PM +0200, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> The tricky part is your idea about tying this in with the other
> network tests, to avoid polling the hosts that are down or disabled.
> I can understand why (I know how long snmpget takes to timeout a
> request) ... it's just an idea that I haven't heard before.
>
> I think it's a great idea - it would certainly be useful for exactly
> this kind of test where you want to avoid testing unreachable systems.
> Adding this kind of filter to bbhostgrep should not be terribly
> difficult - stay tuned.

A first attempt at implementing this is included in the latest
snapshot, available at http://www.hswn.dk/beta/ - or, to just
pick up the new utility, grab
   http://www.hswn.dk/beta/snapshot/common/bbhostgrep.c

Just drop this file into the hobbit-4.1.2/common/ directory and
run "make".

This adds a new "--no-down" option to bbhostgrep. This causes it
to query the Hobbit server for information about the hosts that
have a non-green "conn" column (ping test); these hosts are
ignored and will not show up in the output from bbhostgrep.

You can also use "--no-down=SOMETEST". bbhostgrep will then
also query the Hobbit server for the current state of the
SOMETEST column for all hosts; if this column for a host has
status blue (disabled), then that host will also be ignored.
Note that this is in addition to the "conn" check.