External scripts not working the same?

Stewart_Larsen at doh.state.fl.us Stewart_Larsen at doh.state.fl.us
Tue Oct 25 18:50:57 CEST 2005

Greetings,

We are looking at migrating from BB to Hobbit. One major stumbling block
right now is that we have over 400 devices on the network right now that
we monitor via SNMP.  Firewalls, Routers, proxies, etc.

Our basic script in BB was under the ext folder on the server and was
run every 5 minutes when bbtest-net ran. An instance of this script was
called for each device we needed checked.  It pulled the IP address of
the device from the environment variables and called the bb executable
with it's result when the test was completed.  This doesn't seem to be
possible in hobbit.  Every reference I've seen in the archives has told
people to use hobbitlaunch.

Unless I'm misunderstanding things (which is possible...), I can tell
hobbitlaunch to fire off my external script every 5 minutes, but the
script will only run that one time, meaning I'd have to modify my script
to run a loop through all of the devices that I want the test run for.
This is not really the way we want to go, because then it ignores the
hosts that are planned down for maintenance and such.

What I'd like to do is add a service tag in the bbhost file called
router_test.  Then, when the network tests are run, hobbit should be
smart enough to know that there is an external script defined in
hobbitlaunch.cfg that matches that tag and run it for that machine.  Is
this possible?

Little help for a newbie to Hobbit?

Stewart