Ext script help needed.

Thomas tlp-hobbit at holme-pedersen.dk
Fri Oct 21 09:02:52 CEST 2005

Hi All,

Please help me with this little problem I have, as it is bothring be a lot.

I have writte an ext script which logs into a FTP server does a dir
command and then excits. All FTP commands are specified in a input file
and the output is saved in a temp file used for the status message to
Hobbit.

Henrik kindly advised me to use a bbhostgrep to search the FTP server
details from the bb-hosts file and this works as expected. In order to
speed up the testing I have created a "subscript" which I call with som
paramaters from the "master script" and this way have some parrallel run
of the test. Its like this:

$BBHOME/ext/ftp-test.sh $HOST $USER $PASSWD &

This also works fine.

The problem starts when a FTP connection fails or is slow. Then my
subscript is not terminated and the master script hangs. This in turn
leads to purple alarms for all hosts. I have tried to implement in my
master script a check using ps for a previously running subscribt for
the individual hosts, but this is not work as expected.

So my question is how can I have my "sub script" really fork from the
master script ? I do not need it to return to the master script because
the subscript sends the status to Hobbit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Thomas