[hobbit] PCRE reference with examples

Larry.Barber at usda.gov Larry.Barber at usda.gov
Thu Oct 13 18:17:50 CEST 2005

No \s is typically used to indicate whitespace in regexp's. \w usually
matches alphanumeric characters and the underscore character, hence Rich
probably wants something like:

HOST=%^va\w*

% - required by Hobbit to indicate the start of a regexp
^ - start of line character
\w - matches any alphanumeric/underscore character
* - 0 or more \w's

You can add a $ to the end of the line, but it won't change anything
since the * will grab all the characters to the end of the line anyway,
assuming that they are all alphanumeric and that Hobbit strips off all
the leading and trailing whitespace.

Thanks,
Larry Barber