[hobbit] hobbitd status-board not available

David Gore David.Gore at mci.com
Tue Oct 11 19:28:28 CEST 2005

David Gore wrote:

> Henrik Stoerner wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 04:08:57PM -0600, David Gore wrote:
>>
>>> What does this message mean.  Typically we get this when disabling
>>> multiple hosts.  Is it a host resource issue, something isn't
>>> replying quick enough?  We are on the snapshot from 03 October.
>>> This has been happening over many weeks and different snapshots.  OS
>>> is solaris 9.
>>>

>> It really points to a bug in the hobbitd daemon - it means that some
>> task (usually bbdisplay) couldn't fetch the status information from
>> the Hobbit server, which it uses to build the webpages.
>>
>> I'm somewhat alarmed if you have this problem with such a recent
>> snapshot. I know there was a bug in 4.1.1 (and earlier) that could
>> trigger this when disabling or renaming hosts, but that should not
>> happen with the snapshot from 03 Oct.
>>

>>> I am pretty sure these happen as people disable hosts and it fails
>>> although bb2.html shows them going to blue in the history, they will
>>> not show up on the enable/disable screen and usually show as failed
>>> when executing the disable.
>>>

>> Interesting. I'll go over that particular piece of code again to
>> see if I can come up with an explanation. If you have a way of
>> triggering this, let me know - in that case, I'd like you to try out
>> some things to make it sure it is fixed.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Henrik

>> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk
>>

> It is still happening with the latest 4.1.2 install.  A multi-host
> (~75+ hosts) disable worked, but then later on the enable it looks
> like hobbitd crashed:
>
> hobbit at hobbit:/export/home/hobbit/server> find . -name core
> ./tmp/core
> hobbit at hobbit:/export/home/hobbit/server> ls -al ./tmp/core
> -rw-------   1 hobbit   other    13630500 Oct 11 16:46 ./tmp/core
> hobbit at hobbit:/export/home/hobbit/server> file ./tmp/core
> ./tmp/core:     ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'hobbitd'
> hobbit at hobbit:/export/home/hobbit/server> gdb bin/hobbitd tmp/core
> GNU gdb 6.0
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
> you are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.9"...
> Core was generated by `hobbitd
> --pidfile=/export/home/hobbit/server/logs/hobbitd.pid --restart=/export'.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.1...done.
> [...]
It has cored several times now due to attempted multi-host re-enables.
I cannot re-enable the hosts.  The last time was 5 hosts with 1 test.  I
am just going to let hobbit auto-enable them when their disable time
expires.  Additionally, the disable/enable web page is not populated
with any hosts for about ten minutes after the crash, that includes the
info page.

~David