[hobbit] hobbitclient + msgs test sugesstion

Aiello, Steve (Corporate, consultant) steve.aiello at ge.com
Tue Nov 29 22:40:45 CET 2005

> So - I think some other solution is needed, and I've been
> thinking about how to do it. So far it's just ideas - no
> code. But I believe the log checking has to happen on each
> client, but controlled by a central configuration. So what I
> plan to implement is something like this:
>
> * The configuration of what logs to monitor and what strings to
>   look for is maintained on the central Hobbit server, either as
>   an addition to the hobbit-clients.cfg file, or in a separate
>   file - that isn't really important.
> * When a client connects and sends in a client-side message, the
>   Hobbit server accepts the client message, but also sends back
>   the current log-check configuration info. By re-using the
>   client connection, the overhead involved in pushing the
>   configuration to each client becomes almost nil.
> * When the client has a log-check configuration, it knows what logs
>   to check for what strings, and can include that information in
>   the normal client message it sends back to the Hobbit server.
>   That means the client will need a tool to do the logfile checking;
>   probably using a client-side regular-expression matching tool
>   like "grep". It can either be built into the Hobbit client, or
>   it could just rely on the existing "grep" utility found on the
>   system - this would probably be the simplest to implement.

I had come to the same conclusion when trying to think how to implement
msgs tests in a 'hobbit' way.  So it seems that hobbit needs some manner
of 'push' mechanism. Of course this is just pushing configuration, but
since you are talking about a 'push' mechanism what about pushing files
too ?  Though this option may be cosidered a security hole. But this
would be nice for pushing out updates.  Whether it is a full Hobbit
client update, or if a particular script/test needed to be pushed out
and updated.

Pushing out files could be a configureable option that can be
enable/disabled.