Using hostname instead of IP in bb-hosts

Manu yoogie at schurkennetz.de
Mon Nov 28 09:32:41 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm new to the list and also new to hobbit.
I'm using the release candidate 4.12p1 on debian linux and several others.

My problem is, that I have to monitor computers which are connected to
the internet by a dialup dsl connection. Those are getting a new
ip-address from the isp every 24 hours and ddclient is updating it to
dynamic dns. I need to monitor the machines because they provide the
internet for our conference rooms and are not connected to our internal
network.

I added the following line to bb-hosts:

<dyndns-hostname> DSL1 # BBDISPLAY BBPAGER BBNET conn

but hobbit ignores this line and doesn't throw an error.
Is there a way to use hostnames instead of the ip-address?

apart from this, I started with an entry like this:

10.0.0.101  host1 ...

and realized, that I misspelled the ip-address. So I changed it to
10.0.0.103 but hobbit keeps pinging the old ip address. Can I tell
hobbit to update the ip-address manually?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Manuel