[hobbit] Re: help setting up hobbit

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Nov 18 10:21:27 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 11:16:46PM -0800, hobbit wrote:

> The bbgen test is showing up yellow on my bb-server and its saying
> it can't open the event log. I don't see anything in the docs
> about where its attemping to write.

This usually happens only upon the first startup of Hobbit, then
the file is automatically created and the error goes away.

It's the "allevents" file located in the $BBHIST directory - i.e.
~hobbit/data/hist/allevents for a standard install.

> Also is there any advantage to using the hobbit client versus using
> the bb client?

They are different.

The BB client stores the configuration locally on each client, whereas
Hobbit uses a central configuration file kept on the Hobbit server.

The BB client generates the client status columns on the client, and
sends only the data it knows about to the server.  The Hobbit client
reports "raw" data to the Hobbit server and makes these available to
the admin, besides generating the normal cpu/disk/procs etc. status
colunms.

The BB client runs multiple "bbrun" processes. The Hobbit client
only have one "hobbitlaunch" process running.

The BB client support logfile checking, the Hobbit client does
not currently report anything for the "msgs" column.