[hobbit] Monitoring syslog and other log files

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Nov 10 23:38:44 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:52:22PM -0500, Allan.Marillier at dana.com wrote:
> Somebody please point me at some docs on setting filters for syslog and
> other log file monitoring, or give me some starting point. I've checked
> the archive, browsed through the installation and config pages, looked
> through man pages, and I'm just not seeing it.
>
> I have the standard configs on my clients, with clientlaunch.cfg and
> hobbitclient.cfg.

You must have missed this in the README.CLIENT file:

   The Hobbit client will report data for the "cpu", "disk",
   "memory" and "procs" columns to Hobbit, in addition to
   data for the "vmstat" and "netstat" graphs. It does not
   currently provide any data for the system-log "msgs"
   column.

In other words: The Hobbit client doesn't do log-monitoring yet.
This is a strong candidate for "most wanted feature" currently, so
it will show up soon. But right now I have my hands full with
other requests.