[hobbit] HOBBIT 4.0.3 build issue on hp 11.0

Kevin Pye kevin.pye at gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:33:17 CEST 2005

On 23/05/05, Michael Nemeth <michael.nemeth at lmco.com> wrote:
> I hacked my Makes for .1 and .2  and got them to work   but  this  time
> I cann't get it!
>
> HP-UX  B.11.00
> ERRORS:
>
> ranlib libbbgen.a || echo ""
> cc -g -O -D_REENTRANT -DHPUX -DMAXMSG=32768 -DBBDPORTNUMBER=1984 -I.
> -I/home/nemethm/hobbit-4.0.3/include -I. -I../include  -DSTANDALONE -o
> loadhosts loadhosts.c ./libbbgen.a
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
>    expand_env (first referenced in ./libbbgen.a(misc.o)) (code)
>    xgetenv (first referenced in ./libbbgen.a(misc.o)) (code)
>    getenv_default (first referenced in ./libbbgen.a(misc.o)) (code)
> gmake[1]: *** [loadhosts] Error 1

Check out lib/environ.o. You'll probably find it is zero bytes in
size. You probably missed an error in a previous make run (try make
clean and then running make again). There is a bug in the HP-UX C
compiler which causes it to crash leaving a zero file and the bug is
triggered on environ.c. Running make again doesn't try to recompile
environ.c because of the empty environ.o file.

There is a patch for the compiler, but I don't know the patch number off-hand.

Kevin.