[hobbit] sending status messages

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed May 11 14:22:05 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:11:48PM +0200, Marco Avvisano wrote:

> I would like to send status messages from a hobbit server to another.
> What is the best way to do this?
> It's correct to send the hobbitboard output to the other server?

Depends on what is is you want to achieve.

The "hobbitdboard" output is not really useful for anything but the
"bbgen" program creating webpages. So if you're just setting up an
extra server to act as the web front-end to Hobbit, you can use that -
just disable hobbitd itself, and point it at the existing Hobbit server.
It will then use "hobbitdboard" to fetch the status from a remote
Hobbit server.

If you're looking at setting up a second fail-over server, the best
solution is either to run the two servers in parallel, and have
your clients report to both servers. If reconfiguring all clients
is impractical, I'd suggest configuring your current hobbitd to listen
only on IP 127.0.0.1 (the loopback interface), and using the "bbproxy"
tool to handle incoming connections from other hosts - it can then
forward them to both the real hobbitd server on 127.0.0.1, and a second
hobbitd running on another server.