[hobbit] Help with nopropred (I think)

Terry Barnes tbarnes1 at hfhs.org
Fri May 6 14:55:51 CEST 2005

OK - the default host setting will work nicely. Thank you!

Terry Barnes
Siemens Com @ HFHS
248-853-4968 (Office)
586-405-8382 (Cellular)
248-844-3030 (Fax)
5864058382 at messaging.nextel.com (Text Pager)
tbarnes1 at hfhs.org

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 11:15:19PM -0400, Terry Barnes wrote:

> It seems I can alter the propagation status either globally or for a
> single test at a time, but there are hundreds of tests being done on
the
> non-production systems and disabling all of them individually would
> really clutter up the bb-hosts file. Mosts of the tests are being
done
> with bb client and are not even listed in Hobbit's bb-hosts file.

The simplest way of disabling red AND yellow statuses from going
upwards
is to put a "NOPROPRED:*" on the pertinent host entries. bbgen assumes
that
if you don't care to see a red status, you probably dont want the
yellow
one either. And the "*" is special, matching all tests.

So that makes things a bit simpler.

On top of that, you can try using the ".default." host - this is
something that was added in 4.0.2 to make it easier to apply one or
more
tags on lots of hosts. This is like a normal host entry in the
bb-hosts
file, but it just sets up a set of tags that are automatically added
for
all hosts that appear after the ".default." entry. So in your case it
would be used like this:

  page prod1 Production servers 1
  0.0.0.0    .default.        #
  10.0.0.1   prod1.foo.com    #
  10.0.0.1   prod2.foo.com    #

  subpage nonprod1 Non-production servers 1
  0.0.0.0    .default.        # NOPROPRED:*
  10.1.0.1   test1.foo.com    #
  10.1.0.2   test2.foo.com    #
  10.1.0.3   test2.foo.com    #

  page prod2 Production servers 2
  0.0.0.0    .default.        #
  10.2.0.1   prodA.foo.com    #

See ? When you start on a set of production servers, you put in an
empty ".default." definition to clear the default set of tags, and
when you start on a non-production set of servers, you put in a
".default." host with the "NOPROPRED:*" tag.

The ".default." host must be called exactly that - with the two dots.
It will not show up on the generated web pages, and you can only use
it
to define these Hobbit-internal tags - not network tests.

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

HFHS CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sending party by replying in an email to the sender, delete the email from your computer system and shred any paper copies of the email you printed.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using e-mail to communicate with us. These risks are described in our Privacy Policy at http://henryford.com.  Review that policy carefully before continuing to communicate with us by e-mail. For greater Internet security, our policy describes the Henry Ford MyHealth electronic communication process - you may register at http://henryford.com.  If you do not believe that our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send e-mail or Internet communications to us.