[hobbit] Help with nopropred (I think)

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri May 6 08:23:13 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 11:15:19PM -0400, Terry Barnes wrote:

> It seems I can alter the propagation status either globally or for a
> single test at a time, but there are hundreds of tests being done on the
> non-production systems and disabling all of them individually would
> really clutter up the bb-hosts file. Mosts of the tests are being done
> with bb client and are not even listed in Hobbit's bb-hosts file.

The simplest way of disabling red AND yellow statuses from going upwards
is to put a "NOPROPRED:*" on the pertinent host entries. bbgen assumes that
if you don't care to see a red status, you probably dont want the yellow
one either. And the "*" is special, matching all tests.

So that makes things a bit simpler.

On top of that, you can try using the ".default." host - this is
something that was added in 4.0.2 to make it easier to apply one or more
tags on lots of hosts. This is like a normal host entry in the bb-hosts
file, but it just sets up a set of tags that are automatically added for
all hosts that appear after the ".default." entry. So in your case it
would be used like this:

  page prod1 Production servers 1
  0.0.0.0    .default.        #
  10.0.0.1   prod1.foo.com    #
  10.0.0.1   prod2.foo.com    #

  subpage nonprod1 Non-production servers 1
  0.0.0.0    .default.        # NOPROPRED:*
  10.1.0.1   test1.foo.com    #
  10.1.0.2   test2.foo.com    #
  10.1.0.3   test2.foo.com    #

  page prod2 Production servers 2
  0.0.0.0    .default.        #
  10.2.0.1   prodA.foo.com    #

See ? When you start on a set of production servers, you put in an
empty ".default." definition to clear the default set of tags, and
when you start on a non-production set of servers, you put in a
".default." host with the "NOPROPRED:*" tag.

The ".default." host must be called exactly that - with the two dots.
It will not show up on the generated web pages, and you can only use it
to define these Hobbit-internal tags - not network tests.