Status of the 4.0 release

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Mar 21 10:33:57 CET 2005

RC5 has been out available for more than two weeks now, and is looking
really good. Only a couple of bugs have been reported, most notably:
- recovery messages are sent to all potential recipients, whether they
  actually received an alert or not;
- hobbitd_larrd is leaking memory when handling "disk" reports.

Most of the changes I've done since RC5 are portability changes.
Thanks to a couple of dedicated testers Hobbit now builds on Darwin
(Mac OS X), and I've done a bit of work to be able to build native
Debian and RPM packages of Hobbit for Linux based systems.

So I've been debating with myself whether to do an RC6, or just ship
the darned thing and call it 4.0. In the end, I chickened out and
decided that a final RC was worthwhile - if for no other reason, then
to verify that the pre-built packages work.

So RC6 will be available later today when I finish packaging it
up. This will also include pre-built Debian/Sarge and RPM packages for
i386 and SPARC Linux.

I expect RC6 to live for about 10 days, so the final release will
happen around April 1st.