[hobbit] Migrate BBVAR to data

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 16 10:19:53 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:00:24AM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> I had been running bbro for more than 3yrs and I am running hobbit since
> the beginning of this year.
>
> I read the Step 4 and 5 on http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/bb-to-hobbit.html. However I am
> not clear the following.
>
> If I migrate the BBVAR contents to data dir will my current hobbit
> data/rrd get overwritten or they can stay side-by-side?

They'll be overwritten.

In theory, it is possible to merge the data from BB with that from
Hobbit. The bbvar/hist/ & data/hist/ files have the same format; the
files in the histlogs/ directories are the same and can be copied over
(although you wont be able to access them, unless the files in the
hist/ directory are also updated), so you could merge those based on
the timestamp logged for the changes.

Merging the RRD files seems pretty difficult.

So it's a lot of work, and I just decided that it was a lot simpler to
do a clean cut-over where you go from BB logging the data to Hobbit in
one shot. The only thing you'll lose are data from the incompatible
RRD files (all netstat RRD's, and the Linux-based vmstat RRD's).