[hobbit] Log sizes

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Mar 6 07:46:15 CET 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 06:02:24PM -0500, Kevin.Hanrahan at novainfo.com wrote:
> Henrik,
>  I was looking at the size of the logs and some of them are quite large. The
> largest is the larrd-status.log which has lots of entries like this:
>
> 2005-03-05 17:53:37 RRD error updating
> /home/hobbit/data/rrd/satlcwr01/disk,E.rrd: illegal attempt to update using
> time 1110063217 when last update time is 1110063217 (minimum one second
> step)

> 1) what does this mean?

This means that an update of the RRD file failed. The actual text
describing the error is provided by the rrdtool library - in this
case, it refused to update the file because it's been less than one
second since the last update.

So how can it happen that it tries to update the same RRD file twice
in a second ? I've seen it mostly with data from network tests,
e.g. if you happen to have the same host or test listed twice in your
bb-hosts file. With client reports (cpu, disk, ..) it can happen if
you have two clients reporting with the same name. Or it may be a bug
in the hobbit larrd handler, so it mistakenly sees the same data
twice.

> 2) Other than troubleshooting, are the logs used for any other function?

No.

> Can I delete them?

Yes, but they are kept open by the various hobbitd* processes
running. hobbitlaunch and hobbitd will re-open the logs when you send
them a SIGHUP, but the various hobbitd_* modules don't. I'll get that
fixed.