RC5 available on sourceforge

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Mar 4 08:04:14 CET 2005

To clear the list of patches, I've packed up an RC5 which is now
available http://sourceforge.net/project/hobbitmon/ and on
http://www.hswn.dk/beta/

This solves all of the problems that have been reported with alerts in
RC4. It also fixes the crashes that have been reported with the
hobbitd_alert module, and when very large status messages were sent to
hobbitd.

Since I'm off to Linuxforum 2005 - www.linuxforum.dk - I probably will
not be as much online this week-end as I usually am. So enjoy this
release and don't break anything important, please :-)

Henrik

Changes from RC-4 -> RC-5
-------------------------
Bugfixes:
* Very large status- or data-messages could overflow the shared
  memory segment used for communication between hobbitd and the
  worker modules. This would cause hobbitd to crash. Such messages
  are now truncated before being passed off to worker modules.

* hobbitd_alert no longer crashes when trying to send a message.

* Recovery messages were sent, even when no alert message had
  been sent. This caused unexpected "green" messages.

* The router dependency "route" tag handling was broken.

Improvements:
* The "starthobbit.sh" script now refuses to start Hobbit if it
  is already running.

* The "starthobbit.sh" script was renamed to just "hobbit.sh".
  It now also supports a "reload" command that causes hobbitd
  to reload the bb-hosts file.

* The bb-hist CGI now supports the NAME tag for naming hosts.

* The history CGI's showed the Host- and service-names twice
  when in Hobbit mode. Once is enough.

* A "NOALERT" setting in hobbit-alerts.cfg was implemented, so
  it is easier to define recipients who only get notice-messages
  and not alerts.

* The input parameter check for CGI scripts was relaxed, so that
  special characters are permitted - e.g. when passing a custom
  hostname to a CGI. Since we do not use any shell scripts in
  CGI handling, this should not cause any security problem.

Building Hobbit:
* The /opt/sfw directory is now searched for libraries (Solaris).

* The order of libssl and libcrypto has been swapped, to avoid
  linker problems on some platforms.