[hobbit] recovery emails on alerts which don't generate pages == undesired behaviour

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Mar 4 07:40:17 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 03:13:31PM -0800, Bruce Lysik wrote:

>  Recently however, I've gotten some requests from people who want to
>  get alerted on a few monitors when they yellow.  No problem, I
>  thought.  I'll just change --alertcolors back to default, and then
>  add COLOR=red,purple to all the existing alert definitions to start.
>
>  This caused the problem where a monitor would go into a yellow state
>  (not causing a page because COLOR=red,purple) and then go back to
>  green (which would then send a recovery page).  This current
>  behaviour doesn't make sense.

The current code - i.e. RC4 plus the post-RC4 patch, plus the fix I
sent out yesterday to stop alerts from going off every minute -
should behave the way you want. As you say, it doesn't make sense to
get a recovery message when you didn't get the alert. I just tested it
to be absolutely certain it behaves, and it does.

If you're confused about what version you've got (quite
understandable): Unpack the hobbit-4.0-RC4 archive; grab the latest
post-RC4 patch (I updated it yesterday) from http://www.hswn.dk/beta/
and apply it with "cd hobbit-4.0-RC4; patch -p0 </tmp/post-RC4.patch"
copy over your Makefile from the old setup and run make, make install.