[hobbit] Newbe question

Henrik Storner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Mar 3 22:25:59 CET 2005

In <26EF234CFA0A61499BE54B08447FE397084461 at sleepy.opushealthcare.com> "Tim Rotunda" <trotunda at opushealthcare.com> writes:

>Can I feed bb from a script (my own) or even C code to report back to
>the server status of my own programs?  Do I really need BB agents?

As long as you send messages to Hobbit (or BB) using the correct
protocol, it doesn't matter what you use to generate data. There
are a lot of scripts out there to monitor the status of different
things - hardware, databases, the weather, traffic information etc.

The BB agent is the fastest way to setup monitoring of a single server
at the OS level (check on cpu load, disk usage, processes and
logfiles) - simply because the agent already exists. But you are
definitely free to use whatever tool you like to find the data you
want to monitor.