[hobbit] Hobbit and HPOV NNM

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jun 29 22:44:54 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 03:51:20PM -0400, Coupe, Mark (ITD) wrote:

> I'm trying to push Hobbit alarms up to HPOV NNM (reference what
> "Guillaume" did in BB (re:
> http://support.bb4.com/archive/200203/msg00670.html)).  However, his
> method will not work with Hobbit and I'm wondering if anyone has an
> external script or maybe some guidance that they can provide.

There's an "snmptrap" command that you should look into. This is a
command-line utility for generating an SNMP trap message and sending
it somewhere; this should run from a custom alert script that you
invoke from the hobbit-alerts.cfg file.

If your Hobbit server has the Net-SNMP package installed, there's some
documentation about how to generate traps in their FAQ. See
http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/FAQ.html#How_do_I_send_traps_and_notifications_

The biggest issue might be to find out what OID to use when sending the
trap. The OID (Object IDentifier) must be recognized by your HPOV
installation - it must be described by a MIB file that is installed in
the HPOV management system - so it knows how to interpret this trap.
E.g. a trap stating that "Item 4 now has value 80" doesn't mean much
unless you know that that "Item 4" is the temperature of your CPU and
"80" is in degrees Celsius.

You can make up your own OID's, as long as you make sure they are
defined by a MIB. It's customary to use OID's within the "enterprises"
section of the OID tree. Big Brother uses an OID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.7058
which is such an "enterprise" OID registered as the top-level OID for
"BB4 technologies".