[hobbit] Alert rules

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at mcclatchy.com
Wed Jun 29 21:04:26 CEST 2005

Killenbeck, Alan wrote:

> I've been asked to try to make alerts only send 2 emals, at most, and
> still send a RECOVERED message when things recover.
>
> As a quick test, I set DURATION<30, and REPEAT=15, and after forcing
> a service down, for over an hour, achieved the two email alerts - but
> after bringing the service back up, did not get sent a recovered
> message.
>
> Is it possible to do this?

 From what you wrote, you're going to get more than 2 emails if the
system remains offline longer than an hour.  The duration means the
service can be out 30 mins before you get your first email, but after
that threshold is reached, you'll get another every 15 mins *until* it
is fixed.  It won't stop after the second one.  So, if you're down for 2
hours, you should see ~6 messages:  1 30 mins after the crash, then the
rest every 15 mins thereafter.  I'm not aware of any way to restrict the
emails to exactly 2.

As for a recovered message, did you add the RECOVERED option to your
alert rules?  Hobbit doesn't send recovery messages unless you
explicitly ask it to.

Tom