[hobbit] Multiple Views

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jun 22 22:09:21 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 12:56:00PM -0400, Jeffcoat, Al wrote:

> Here's where the problem starts.  Windows has been generating a lot of
> red events.  The execs overreact to red events that are really not
> problems.  We've tired to explain that just because something is red,
> doesn't mean that a system is down.  The windows admins are tuning it
> down as best as they can, but it still happens.
>
> So my thought was to have two hobbit's, one that receives client data
> for our engineers to see and work with, and then another that just does
> the network tests, and this would be what our execs see.  Both would be
> sitting on the same server, running in separate directories, and
> separate virtual servers.  What I'm trying to get to is two views, an
> executive view, and a technical view.

This sounds like what pagesets are for. Basically, you can define an
alternate layout of the hosts on your Hobbit webpages, and when
generating the webpages for the new layout you can remove certain tests
that are likely to cause problems - e.g. the "msgs" column from your
Windows boxes.

This is described in the bbgen(1) man-page, look for the "BUILDING
ALTERNATE PAGESETS" section.

When generating the executive webpages, you can also use some of the
bbgen options, like "--ignorecolumns=msgs" if you just want to
completely remove any "msgs" column from the view, or the various
--noprop* options to keep a non-green status from affecting the color
of higher-level pages.

A very simple solution might be to just use the "NK" page as the
executive webpage. Statuses appear on the "NK" page only if they are
listed in the "NK:testname,..." tag for each host, so you can pick
out the critical tests and put them on a single page for your
executives. Then they have a one-page overview of all systems - I
think that would appeal to the group of people you're targeting.
You don't need to run multiple pagesets for that - the NK page is
generated by default.

Running two full Hobbit's is overkill - you already have the data,
it's just a matter of presenting it.