[hobbit] Netscape 4.7 and Hobbit Monitor 4.0.4

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jun 21 18:19:17 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:47:36AM -0400, Michael Nemeth wrote:
> When using Netscape 4.7x or 4.8 pages are not rendering correctly; no
> menu bar at top, pages with graphs have all
> the magifier glass group at top  and sometimes graphs are missing.
> If there is a  browser prerequiste , what is it?  And where is it stated.
>
> Netscape 4.X is our unix  standard on our deveoptment side with no hope
> of  changing  that!

Sorry to hear that, but I'm afraid Netscape 4.x is just too old for the
web these days.

The Hobbit webpages are all HTML 4.0 compliant - they do use
stylesheets, javascript and probably also some other minor things that
have appeared in HTML since the Netscape 4.x days. (What HTML version
would that support - 3.2 ? Or only 2.x?)

Not that HTML 4.0 is brand new - it was published on 24 Dec. 1999.

I managed to dig up a Windows PC with an old netscape browser installed,
and yes - there are some problems with it. I don't quite understand why
the graphs are missing on the status pages - they show up OK on the
"trends" page.

But frankly, since I cannot even run this browser on my current platform
I am not willing to spend much time figuring out where it breaks. Feel
free to look into it on your own - you may be able to fix most of the
breakage by modifying the header/footer files in the server/web/
directory.