[hobbit] Current development plans

Thu Jun 9 07:58:12 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 07:41 +0200, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> When I pick up speed again, I haven't yet decided if I should go for
> the alert/acknowledge improvements that I've talked about for some
> time, or if I should tackle the issue of a Hobbit client and get that
> into a reasonable shape for the more common platforms. I have some ideas
> for a rather different client architecture than the current one, and
> the client is also *the* missing piece of the whole Hobbit puzzle - so
> I could be tempted to get that done. I'd like some feedback on what
> you find most urgent.

Personally, I'd most like to see a 'free' client (ie, GPL, without the
BB license issue), and I'd also like to see *much* better SNMP support.
ie, point it at a router, and it will automatically (or some tool) setup
the various values to monitor (interfaces, byte counter thresholds, cpu,
temperature, etc) or a switch, or firewall, or UPS, or whatever
thingamabob you have lying around.

Beyond that, I would then go for more of the admin tools, like the
bb-hosts editor recently being developed/released, and some other
auto-discovery type tools.... This makes things easier for initial
deployment/users who don't understand unix so much... But overall, if
you make the right API, then other people can step in and make their own
GUI tools...

Finally, what about some sort of compression/encryption protocol, so
that it is possible to do more frequent test/report without using so
much bandwidth? I know very little about these things, but the overhead
does concern me somewhat, especially if you wanted to test every 30
seconds or something...

Regards,
Adam