[hobbit] Current development plans

Kevin Pye kevin.pye at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 08:10:08 CEST 2005

Henrik,

This might not be quite the right thread for this, but anyway...

There appears to be a bug in bbproxy which should probably be fixed
sometime. When a message is to be sent to several servers, and the
transfer to one sender fails, then the transfer to the other servers
isn't attempted. (The state machine jumps straight to the exit state
rather than looping back to send the message to the next server.) I
first noticed this in an older version of bbproxy, but a quick glance
at the code suggests it might still be a problem.

Also in bbproxy, I'd like to see an option where the proxy reports can
be sent to a different list of servers from where ordinary status
reports are sent. In my case for example, I am using bbproxy mainly
for load balancing on the server where bbd (not yet hobbitd) runs, so
it only send messages to the local server. However I would like the
reports sent to both our servers. I think I sent you some code back in
January which attempted to do this, but it probably got lost in the
ether somewhere. I could resurrect it if you like.

Regarding the hobbit client, one of my main complaints against various
other monitoring/management tools as that they run large complex
processes as root with links deep into the OS. I wouldn't like to see
the hobbit client go down that path.

Kevin.